Monday, February 27, 2006

Coming Attractions

Here's the story:

Starting in about thirty-nine words, I am going off on a week-long bender of ten-minute writings, after which there will be nothing for the three days leading up to March 9, which is a significant date. Just so you know what to expect.

A Policy Clarification: Why I Don't Like Musicals

There have been a number of times in the past when I have found myself saying, with pretty reasonable conviction, "I just don't like musicals." Given that I am about as deep into the theatre as you can get without having to wear tap shoes, this seems pretty ridiculous. I have had a handful of conversations with people who are anywhere from puzzled to downright abusive in reaction to this position. I've been thinking about it more lately, and it is time to clarify the policy.

(Note: Most of the musicals discussed below are movie musicals. These are the ones that most people have seen, so they are the more common points of reference. That they are movies is also relevant to the discussion, but we'll get to that later)

(Also note: If you haven't figured it out yet, there is going to be a bit of theatre talk forthcoming. Uninterested parties have been warned)

It's not that I don't like musicals. I enjoy the hell out of the nostalgic goofiness of "Guys and Dolls" and "Singin' in the Rain," and I thought that "Moulin Rouge" and "Chicago" were tons of fun. I even saw and enjoyed "The Producers" a few weeks ago. It's not that I don't enjoy the musical as a genre, it's that I like straight plays a whole lot more (terminology note: "straight play" = non-musical, a point I make mainly to quell a certain variety of jokes coming from a certain sector of the audience). If you gave me the choice between seeing the hottest drama or musical currently on Broadway, I would choose the drama every time. Here's why:

On the first day of teaching Intro to Theatre for Non-Majors, I ask my class how many of them have seen any theatre at all (this number is depressingly low, around 60%), and if they have, what it was. Of those who have seen theatre, about 95% of them have seen big touring Broadway musicals. This means that when you say theatre, people think of "Miss Saigon" or "Les Miserables." Thus, theatre and musicals have become inseparably linked in the public's mind. The result of this linkage is that the straight play gets pushed even further away from the broader public eye than it already is. There are some amazing plays out there that you will never hear of because they don't have a catchy tune or a damn helicopter landing on the damn stage in an emotionally explosive and musically vomitous moment of damn blah blah blah. The stereotype of Theatre = Musicals also turns off a lot of people who aren't interested in forms of entertainment in which people inexplicably break into sentimental songs. The result, unfortunately, is that non-theatre people pay $125 to see the touring version of "Mamma Mia" when that money would almost buy a season ticket at the local repertory theatre. That repertory theatre is probably producing some interesting and unexpected stuff (not "artsy obscure" unexpected, but "thought-provoking" unexpected) but does not have $5 million to spend on marketing, so they are frequently overlooked.

So that's reason number one. More tomorrow.

6 Comments:

At 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Mamma Mia", "Movin' Out", and "All Shook Up" make me want to vomit. I adore musicals, but I think it's more than just a bit ridiculous to patch together the hit pop songs of a particular group or artist and paste them over a flimsy storyline. It's such an obvious cry for money.
I do sort of battle with myself about the musical vs. straight-play conundrum: I love musicals, but I feel guilty when I go see one because I know plays are largely ignored by the public; also, I know that Stephen Schwartz doesn't need my money, so why am I seeing "Wicked" again when I could be supporting some starving playwright?
Basically...musicals are a lot more fun to see. And, because most cast recordings are easily accessible at any Borders, people don't really have to take a "risk" when they see a musical--if they know they already like the music, they will probably enjoy the show and the evening will be $85 well-spent. I don't know many non-theatre majors that read (non-Shakespeare) plays on a regular basis (or...at all). People don't flock to see the latest new play because they picked up a copy at Barnes & Noble and really liked the dialogue. Also, most big touring musicals have TV commercials that run when they're in town, which spread the word even more.
Unfortunately, it seems that people (and I, sadly, am one of them) would rather spend a lot of money on a hit musical that's likely to be a "sure thing" than less money on a play they haven't heard much about.
I have like three other reasons why I think people like musicals more than plays...but I've already written a short novel on here--I'll sum 'em up another time.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Megan said...

I love musicals. I love the spectacle and I love the dancing and I love the incredible cheesiness. I love the showmanship.

I feel that Mary Zimmerman's stuff is the perfect blend of the two.

I hate Viewpoints with fucking black rage. Since few people see theatre and there are so many grants given to it, it has allowed itself to evolve into things that are pretentious and obscure. It becomes more about the boring vision of a boring person than the effect on the audience. This is why all new work should be required to be comedy. Regardless of how pretentious and weird it is, if they laugh, it is doing something.

There are plays I have seen and loved passionately, but a lot of plays that are very terrible. And if people feel condescended to and disrespected, they will get mad (re: the film Waking Life, re: viewpoints). They probably have people in their lives to do that for them already, and do not need to spend money on that.

I believe in supporting things you love. Find a theatre company you love, find artists you love, find music you love. Give them your money. I do not not believe in supporting all "theatre" on principle, because that means people don't have to be responsible for creating shit. And viewpoints is shit.

Theatre can very frequently preach to the choir, particularly through straight plays. It needs to do the art and not the preaching.

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you not also go and see a play by a playwright that you like? Nobody is forcing you to go sit through viewpoints and like it. Hell there are many musicals that are shit as well. Some of them are in the limelight and have been pronounced as the greatest ever simply b/c some famous names have been attached to them. Namely, Cats

Cats is shit. You know it is. Cats is the most overrated musical ever. But millions of people have seen it! And they continue to see it. How many people bought the tape when it came out a few years ago!?

Go see King Lear if you want a safety net. The Crucible is always playing within a 150 mile radius. But surely there are times even in musicals that you thought, I'm just going to see this b/c I like to watch musicals, and you have come out very dissappointed.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Megan said...

shutup. you're dumb Dr. Jones. hee hoo. or: you make good points.

1. Um, I have not seen a musical since...Urinetown. I thought it was okay and fun but weird and I kept thinking about Holden Caulfield when he freaks out about everyone being fake. That is the truth. A lot of musicals are shit also, that is true. A lot of art is shit in my opinion because by it's nature it is completely subjective.

2. I have not seen a play since my friend Michael did one. It was fine. And usually I'm acting so I never go see anything. heh. I guess I am saying FINE SOMETIMES I CAN BE A HYPOCRITICAL DICK! Still, Viewpoints fills me with black rage.

Also it is fun to have wide sweeping negative opinions. RIGHT TILER?

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

Yes. If you're going to have opinions, sweepingly negative is the only way to go.

Okay, seriously, the next time I see Anne Bogart, I will punch her in the kidney on your behalf.

Go see some damn theatre then.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Megan said...

No.

(I deeply amuse myself)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home