Thursday, July 27, 2006

Geek On This

Listen, because this is true: Just about everyone is a geek about something. If you’re not, you probably should be, because it is one hell of a lot of fun to know 2000% more about a subject than rational human beings should know. I’m not advocating that you go get a hobby that devours whole your spare time, social life, and 401K, but I firmly believe that the liberating and wonderfully distracting power of geeking out is key to life happiness.

It is also terribly important that you embrace your geekiness, no matter how ridiculous it is. If you are a deeply-studied authority on all things related to, say, Formula One racing, then get hip-deep in the absurdity of that interest. I’m not suggesting that you lord it over the rest of us like some superior human being, but you had better not apologize for knowing that the BMW team is dropping the unusual nose fins on their chassis due to safety concerns. Be a geek. Love it.

Among other things, I am a music geek, but that geekiness requires some clarification. If you put music geeks on a scale of one to one hundred, I’d come in at a solid seventy, maybe seventy-five. I have a lot of music, and I like a lot of music, but there are some holes in my knowledge (mostly involving “old” bands like The Eagles, CCR, and the like) and some weird appreciations outside of the norm (the Irish band The Pogues).

The point here that I am finally now going to get to is this, oh fellow music geeks:

You know how you spend six hours bitterly arguing about which albums you would take with you to a deserted island if you could only take ten? Or how you might possibly fight to the death in hand-to-hand combat disputing whether Kind of Blue or Blue Train is the best jazz album ever (clearly Kind of Blue, or we’ll have to throw down)? Or how your list of the top three R.E.M. albums might or might not include Up depending on whether or not you were allowed to count albums after their drummer quit the band?

Yes, I think you do know. And so, I have a new subject about which you can now reach shouting levels. This subject is especially relevant in these, the days of the iPod, when the album as an art form is waning from prominence. I was shuffling the 5,000 or so songs on my iPod today, when the shuffler settled upon U2’s “Lemon” from Zooropa. This was a song that I originally listened to unshuffled on CD, so my brain was programmed to be prepared for the next song on the album, “Stay (Faraway, So Close).” This is quite the one-two punch, musically speaking. You go from the electronic, airy, almost driving rhythm of Bono’s falsetto philosophizing (“Man captures color, man likes to stare / He turns his money into light to look for her.”) to the absolutely heartbreaking, stripped-down beauty of “Stay,” (“Dressed up like a car crash, your wheels are turning, but you’re upside down.”) that ends with that perfectly simple cymbal hit. “Lemon” soars and dreams, “Stay” sits you down on the bar stool and pours you a whiskey. The rest of the album is hit-or-miss, but those two songs just punch you right in the gut. It’s this sort of thoughtful placement – not just two great songs, but two great songs that fit perfectly as a pair – that we’re losing more and more as the electronic age of music sweeps the artistic arrangement of albums under the digital rug. I’m not lamenting the change altogether, just making the point that shuffle isn’t always the way to go. So ask yourself this question:

What are some of the best back-to-back song combos on an album? This is one that takes a bit of studying, so I’ll give you time to compile your best five to ten song pairs and submit them in the comments section. I’m looking hard at my especially musically geeky friends to set the bar high here, and I think you know who you are. (Note: Soundtracks and Best Of albums are excluded, and if you disagree or don't understand why, please slap yourself in the face. See? This is the kind of conviction it takes to be a true geek.)

My top ten pairs, in no particular order, are as follows, and definitely reveal at what point in my life I was listening mainly to whole, unshuffled albums:

“Mysterious Ways” and “Tryin’ to Throw Your Arms Around the World” U2, Achtung Baby
“Mysterious Ways” belly-dances in greens and blues, worshiping the woman, while “Tryin’” finds her in a small moment and reassures her. Beautiful.

“Nightswimming” and “Find The River” R.E.M., Automatic for the People
One of the most amazing songs ever written – filled with memory, pure nostalgia – followed by a departure song – a leaving, a thank-you, an expansive looking forward.

“Pictures of You” and “Closedown” The Cure, Disintegration
A shout out to my teen angst days, one of the sadder songs that I’ve ever loved followed by, well, more sadness, but of driving nature.

“Bullet the Blue Sky” and “Running to Stand Still” U2, The Joshua Tree
No explanation needed, I think.

“Rhyme for the Summer Time” and “Cold Beverage” G. Love and Special Sauce, G. Love and Special Sauce
I’ve always thought this might be the ultimate summer album, and these two songs take you from a total chill on the deck to up and movin’ about on the beach, shakin’ it a little in the sun.

“Belong” and “Half a World Away” R.E.M., Out of Time
The perfect balance of soft beauty, loss, and comfort. “The storm it came up strong, shook the trees, and blew away our fears.”

“Kerosene Hat” and “Take Me Down to the Infirmary” Cracker, Kerosene Hat
Another perfect one-two of sadness and comfort.

“So What” and “Freddy Freeloader” Miles Davis, Kind of Blue
I told you it was the best jazz album ever. This is not a new idea.

“The World At Large” and “Float On” Modest Mouse, Good News for People Who Love Bad News
The first song starts the album perfectly: gradual, building momentum, adding in one part at a time, but never quite getting a full head of steam before rolling right into the driving energy and optimism of “Float On.”

“Lemon” and “Stay (Faraway, So Close)” U2, Zooropa.
“Just the bang and the clatter, as an angel hits the ground.”

7 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright...I'll pop this cherry. In no particular order.

Queen
News of the World
"We will rock you"/"We are the Champions"
I am a big Queen fan (ha ha ha jeff's fat. ha ha ha jeff's gay) and you can't mention back to back songs without these two. They are the peanut butter and jelly of rock, you can't have one without the other...unless you are eating ravioli..then leave the jelly off.

Sticking with Queen
Classic Queen
"Who wants to live forever"/ "The show must go on"
I am going to break the rules like crazy here tyler, but with rambling justification. Classic Queen technically is a greatest hits album, but I declare it exempt because Queen stopped being relevant in America after "radio ga-ga" which is a song on their actual greatest hits album. Classic Queen is a compilation of hits from overseas that were mostly unheard of in america, for the import they threw in bohemiam rhapsody and under pressure, but mostly this was new music to america. "The show must go on" is one of my favorite Queen songs and in combination with "who wants to live forever" makes quite a statement. It is even more poignet after freddie mercury's death.

Weezer
Pinkerton
"The Good Life" / "Across the Sea"
Pinkerton is an album I discovered after the other Weezer albums, but these two are my favorite Weezer songs. The good life is quick and catchy and my favorite song, and Across the sea is weird, touching, and vulnerable. Fun fact- pinkerton was written to follow the story line loosely of "madame butterfly"

Pearl Jam
"Ten"
"Black"/"Jeremy"
Two of the best songs back to back on one of the best albums of all time. This was a tough choice because I almost picked "even flow"/"alive". I had this as a tape..yeah a tape, and wore it till it broke. Black is a very underappreciated song on this album, and I think it is one of the few songs that never became a single. It is slow, but not a ballad. great song...and can anyone listen to Jeremy and not think of Columbine. "clearly i remember, picking on the boy, seemed a harmless little F*ck, ooooh but we unleashed a lion, gnashing his teeth...."

BNL
Rock Spectacle
"Jane"/"when I fall"
well crap tyler, here i go again, I am getting a red face. But I have a soft spot for live albums and this was a standbye for years. I love the feel of a live album, you feel like you are there for the performance. When I popped this cd in I would listen to these two first, and then the rest of the album.

Beatles
Let it be
"let it be"/"The long and winding road"
two of the five best beatles songs and they are back to back on the last beatles studio album. winner!

Ben Fold's Five
Whatever and ever amen
"Brick"/"Song for the dumped"
Love a rock band based around a piano. Love Ben fold's voice. If the Song "Fair" wasn't in there to seperate them this could have been a great trio with "one angry dwarf and 200 solemn faces"

U2
The Joshua Tree
"I still haven't found what I'm looking for"/"With or Without you"
I know obvious choices off of an obvious album. Who cares! Great songs.

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd
"Gimme 3 steps"/ "simple man"
first I'm happy, then I am motivated to be a better person.

Jimmy Buffett
Feeding Frenzy (man is tyler gonna be pissed)
"come monday"/"last mango in paris"
I know another freaking live album, but I have to turn to the albums that I wore down to nubs for years. I love the live album and buffett is the king of the live album. I like all songs on this album, but come monday is my favorite,and so I chose last mango in paris because it was right after it. I saw jimmy buffett in concert 8 times before i was 13 years old. I was born a parrot head.

Honorable mention
nkotb - please don't go girl/Ill be lovin you forever

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

one more to add.
Denison Hilltoppers
Yours in harmony
"tupelo honey"/"only you"
We sang these songs so many times it was rediculous, thank you to adam and tyler for introducing us to this group

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

The judges have voted to accept both live albums and "Classic Queen," but only because of the extensive justifications offered by the applicant. Don't start thinking you can get the Beatles Anthology by us, though.

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! Tyler, you always were good at wasting, not only your own time, but also the time of those around you.

My list:

Rancid
Rancid
"Don Giovanni"/"Disgruntled"/"It's Quite Alright"
I am a big fan of Rancid - they not only write great songs, I met one of their members in a very small Toledo club when he was touring with his side project. He was busy working his own merch table, but still took the time to stop what he was doing, shake my hand and talk to me for a minute. That said, these 3 songs clock in at about 2.5 minutes total, and will blister the face off of unsuspecting listeners. They flow from song to song with a microsecond pause between.


The Replacements
Let It Be
"I Will Dare"/"Favorite Thing"
These are the opening 2 tracks from one of my all-time favorite albums. The Replacements always come off like awkward, overly earnest losers - we go from "meet me any place or anywhere at any time...If you will dare, I will dare" to "your my favorite thing, bar nothing!" You can almost see 2 socially awkward teens drinking up the courage to talk to each other.

The Beatles
Sgt. Pepper
"Sgt. Pepper Reprise"/"A Day in the Life"
I just love the happy bounce of the reprise into the swimming through molasses of A Day in the Life. The electric guitars fade slowly into the piano - brilliant.

The Rolling Stones
Sticky Fingers
You Gotta Move/Bitch
Again, the contrast of the 2 makes the pair - the down-home folk blues into the very urban cool of Bitch.

The Distillers
Sing Sing Death House
"The Young Crazed Peeling"/"Sing Sing Death House"
YCP is an autobiographical song about overcoming obsticles - very up-beat and positive: "The birds have been freed from their cages/I've got freedom and my youth." SSDH uses the prison as a metaphor for feeling trapped and isolated - "I'm in the death house." YCP is a very pop-influenced song - almost Cheap Trick-y - rolling into the absolutely blistering hardcore of SSDH. It's like moseying down the sidwalk on a beautiful summer afternoon and getting creamed by a truck that jumped the curb.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a music geek, but I'll attempt this:

Tori Amos
Little Earthquakes
"Me and a Gun" and "Little Earthquakes"
The first song is Tori's chilling recount of the night she got raped. The melody is quiet and haunting, and it's sung a cappella. I can't listen to it a lot...it's actually pretty draining. "Little Earthquakes" is sort of about recovering and rebuilding after a difficult year. These two are also the last two on the CD, which I also think is appropriate.

Green Day
Dookie
"Longview" and "Welcome to Paradise"
I dunno why I like these together. They just rock, is all.

The Beatles
Help!
"I've Just Seen A Face" and "Yesterday"
I love the first one because it perfectly captures those giddy-sweet feelings you get when you meet someone new. And "Yesterday" is, well, "Yesterday". Total classic. The album should end with these two, instead of stupid freakin' "Dizzy Miss Lizzy". Oh man, I HATE that song.

Norah Jones
Come Away With Me
"Turn Me On" and "Lonestar"
Both of these are really coy and sexy. I just like 'em together.

Tori Amos (because you can't have too much)
Under the Pink
"Baker Baker" and "The Wrong Band"
Yeah, I pretty much wanna bone Tori Amos. "Baker Baker" wistfully looks back on an old relationship, and "The Wrong Band" is spritely and quirky. I have no idea what it's about, though...even I have to admit, Tori's lyrics are often an impenetrable fog of metaphors that make sense only to her).

The Who
The Who's Next
"Behind Blue Eyes" and "Won't Get Fooled Again"
Arguably two of the greatest songs ever written. No, not arguably. Those ARE two of the greatest songs ever written. EVER. It's one aural orgasm after another.

Let it be known that I did ALL of this without the use of an iPod or iTunes or any such nonsense. Take THAT, Apple Computers! Stop trying to market yourself as a hip, fresh, "people-friendly" little software company: YOU ARE A HUGE, SOULLESS CORPORATION, JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHERS. I HOPE BILL GATES RUNS YOU OUT OF BUSINESS AND DANCES ON YOUR GRAVE. AND...I'M SLEEPING WITH YOUR WIFE! DIE DIE DIE!

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

alrighty here we go:

Fiona Apple
Tidal
"Shadoweboxer"/"Criminal"
the first is all about being used, and how shitty that is. then the cycle is repeated in the next song only flipped. she does that same thing to some other guy. i think it shows how we are all capable of doing anything and becoming any type of person.

Jack Johnson
Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies
"Lullaby"/"With My Own Two Hands"
the first is a song about comforting yourself and then next is about making a change. i think they are both melodically sweet and soft. it's a nice little encouraging duo about little things that make big differences.

Ani DiFranco
Little Plastic Castle
“Pixie”/ “Swandive”
classic ani one right after another.

Ben Folds
Rockin’ the Suburbs
“Losing Lisa”/ “Carrying Cathy”
two great songs and stories. One great artist. Also check out that alliteration!

Matishyahu
Live At Stubb’s
“Aish Tamid”/ “Beat Box”
the first song means “contunious fire” and is about rebuilding of the third temple and everyone’s firs within themselves. Then beat box is just wickedly sick beat box that ends in a rap that justifies a jewish reggae artist. Both full of energy and pride.

-a to the s

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between my brother U2 and REM have been hit pretty well. So I am contributing one pairing for right now. It's a live album and is the album i would choose for the desert island so go with it

Five Iron Frenzy
Proof That The Youth Are Revolting
Every New Day/I Love You Lord
Every New Day is a FIF song that blows you away with such intensity and love and power. It's punk ska that uses William Blake couplets with in the song. It pushes you right up to the edge. FIF then drops immediately into I love you Lord a capella. Two completely different sounds colliding on one stage that brings you to your knees and tears almost everytime I listen to it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home