Tuesday, February 28, 2006

More on Musicals

The second reason that I don't like musicals (and again, for the purposes of this post, "don't like" means "prefer straight plays to") is that they frequently run counter to the things that I believe theatre does best, with a few exceptions.

Generally speaking, musicals rely on massive visual spectacle, large casts, extravagant costuming and lighting, and scenic effects above and beyond all bounds of rational restraint. I cite as evidence once again the famous helicopter landing in Miss Saigon, or, if you prefer, the six billion person chorus I've seen assembled for a recent production of Les Miserables. Don't get me wrong, spectacle can be a lot of fun, but it has two problems: First, it costs a hell of a lot of money, which creates high ticket prices, which causes a wide range of less-than-loaded people to avoid theatre altogether (since to them Theatre = Musicals). Second, I've always believed that theatre should be theatre and film should be film, and film absolutely embarrasses theatre when it comes to effective spectacle. Consider the movie "Chicago," for instance. Although I didn't see the stage version, the movie version did not exactly make me want to do so. The impressive visual spectacle of that movie was such that I feel that something would be lost if it was attempted on the stage. As another example, consider how the incredible visuals of "Moulin Rouge" would have fared if reproduced on the stage. Not so well, I suspect, which is why it was a movie only.

But, you say, isn't the live aspect of theatre enough to compensate for its second-rate (compared to film) ability to create visual spectacle? Isn't watching the dancers and seeing the set pieces shift and change some saving grace? Sure, absolutely, if you can afford $150+ for floor seats. Shell out merely $75 a ticket, and you're going to be pretty far removed from the details of coregraphy. You'll have a nice panoramic view of the amazing set, but again, no detail.

I am going to wrap this topic up tonight, because I suspect that it has a relatively limited appeal (commenters on the previous post, I will reply to you tomorrow). One of the best musicals I ever saw was Assassins at Denison University. It is a surreal and darkly comic tale in which successful and would-be presidential assassins from John Wilkes Booth to present day interact with one another and discuss their lives, stories, and motivations. It is wonderfully silly, insightful, and emotionally gripping. It was performed in the round on an extremely minimal stage, thus making it one of the things that I think theatre should be: about the performers, not the spectacle. And the tickets were cheap.

Five plays that you should see instead of a musical:
Proof, by David Auburn
Amadeus, by Peter Shaffer
Drawer Boy, by Michael Healey
Art, by Yasmina Reza (translated by Christopher Hampton)
Copenhagen, by Michael Frayn

Why? Because they are thought-provoking without being obscure. They are difficult without being dark. They are small, intimate stories with wide-reaching implications. They are aesthetically challenging without being inaccessible. They are what I think of when I think of theatre.

But "Guys and Dolls" is still pretty fantastic. Sit down, you're rockin' the boat.

4 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like spectacle onstage. I definitely don't think that that should be the only saving grace of a show ("Yeah, the plot and the acting sucked, but that helicopter was out of this world!"), but once in awhile, it's really cool to see a musical with tons of spectacle! I wouldn't even put it in the same category as "film spectacle". For me, there's this feeling of "Holy cow this is happening right in FRONT of me" that watching a movie can't reproduce, no matter how fantastic the special effects.
And I disagree with you about the $150 seats. When I saw "The Producers" in Chicago during its pre-Broadway run, I sat in literally the last row of the upper-most balcony. Like, I had to rummage through my purse several times to find a Kleenex to wipe away the blood gushing out of my nose. I still had one of the best times of my life. The dancing, the singing, the outrageous costumes, the giant rotating swastika during "Springtime for Hitler"--they were still phenomenal from where I was sitting! I remember at times I was SHAKING from excitement. (Admittedly, part of that was due to the fact that I was in the same room and breathing the same oxygen as Matthew Broderick, but I digress.) Sure, it probably would have been even cooler to have a $150 seat, but seeing that show was still one of the best theatrical experiences I've had to date, and I don't feel like I lost out on large aspects of the performance just because I was sitting high up.
And, while I enjoyed the movie version of "The Producers", it didn't even come CLOSE to being as visually stunning on film as it did onstage. Again, that's because something is lost when it's not happening right in front of me.
I'm sure if I went to an IMAX show about...let's say, fireworks, that it would have some pretty awesome special effects and vibrant colors and bird's-eye views and whatnot, but I still think that staring up at the sky in my backyard with my family and my dog sure beats the hell out of those digital special effects any day.
For me, that's the difference. I still have like twenty other reasons why I think musicals kick ass. Or...maybe I'm bluffing. Wanna take this outside?

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think perhaps that is the point that The Power was trying to bring across. Yes, you sat in the backrow. Yes, you had a great time and enjoyed the spectacle. But you've mentioned nothing about the actors. How were they? It would be easy to say, oh they were great. But were they great because spectacle pulled a fast one on you? "Hey check out this huge helicopter I'm about to land in your ass" or perhaps it's a word yelled fifty friggin times at 350 decibels, "MASQUERADE!!!!! something, something something something something something something else, *drums drums* MASQUERADE!!!!!!!"

In the latter you have no idea what the hell the actors are saying even though you really want to. Which is the other thing about musicals, you don't have to pay attention the entire time b/c the musical will dictate to you when it wants you to watch it. And even then there's just a lot of buffoonery.

It's very similar to how I feel about music. I will enjoy someone playing accoustic guitar with talent over someone playing the guitar with a lot of flare everytime. The accoustic guy you can really hear what's being played. The lines, the layers, the licks are all right there for you to dissect. There is a lot that can be hidden with an effects pedal.

The effects pedal of music is the spectacle of stage theatre.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The question that I have to ask is.....does it matter? Isn't the point of any theatre, musical or straight, to be entertained? Perhaps your ideal entertainment choice is to be moved by clever symbolism. But is that inherently more valuable then the person who goes to a musical to be moved by beautiful music or a touching love story? Or for the person who goes to Phantom because they love scaffolding, costumer parties, and the word MASQUERADE sung over and over and over? If performance art is what moves you, then is watching naked people garble nonsense and throw paint at each other somehow less valuable when compared to the other forms? (The answer to the last question is clearly yes. performance art is stupid)
I wonder if we are missing the point here. It seems that a debate has sprung as to the merits of each form of theatre. Diversity in style has happened because people derive enjoyment from different styles, and that is what is beautiful about it. It is the expression of the directors, writers, and actors having the desired effect on their audience (whether that be simple laughter, a cheap thrill brought by spectacle, sadness by a moving performance, a cathartic release brought on by a tragedy, or a breathless response to something that just makes you think).
I may be way off, but I don't think Tyler was bashing the musical genre. I think he was just professing his love or preference for the straight play. He was careful to point out that he does enjoy a good musical, but it doesn't tend to move him like a straight play.

So I ask you Tyler....are you saying that straight plays somehow carry more value then musicals and spectacle?.....or just merely that they are your preference?

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

Jeff has got it pretty right here: It is dangerous and tricky to argue for the imperical merits of one art form over another, and I wasn't trying to do that. I was just explaining my preference between the two genres. The fact that I happen to be right and everyone who happens to disagree with me is wrong doesn't enter into it at all.

I think "anonymous" rebutted my arguments pretty well, especially the distinction between live spectacle and film spectacle through the fireworks metaphor. The liveness of a big spectacle is hard to beat, and video reproduction is a pretty pale substitute. Plus, as you pointed out, the spectacle has to be massive if it's going to impress those in the back row.

Dr. Jones has a good point rebutting that, too. When you watch fireworks, you're not looking for nuances. If the guys on the ground put a .5 second gap in between launches instead of a 2 second gap, you're not going to notice it. But, of course, this is not why you go to see fireworks, probably, so again it comes back to what you like and what you expect based on those preferences.

I've seen a stripped-down Cake concert from ten feet away and a spectacularly overproduced U2 concert from one hundred yards away, and both were pretty amazing in their own way.

Ultimately, I think, it just comes down to taste, the thing for which we know that there is no accounting whatsoever. My tastes in theatre lean towards smaller things, but NOT towards the viewpoints-esque dark introspective inaccessible artys crapola which Megan was appropriately railing on in the previous post. I feel that these tastes happen to coincide with a the problematic "Theatre = Musicals" trend in public perception. Bottom line, I respect what you like so long as you can provide some argument as to why you like it, even if you are wrong and I am right. Thanks for the excellent dialogue, all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home