Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Speaking of Overpriced Touring Musical Events...

Last night I saw the "Delirium" company of Cirque de Soleil at the lovely Conseco Fieldhouse. Since I can't currently think of anything else to ramble about tonight, I'm going to review the performance. (Ironically, the tickets cost about as much as an over-marketed touring Broadway musical, but I didn't pay, so there.)

For those of you who don't know, Cirque de Soleil is a performing company that specializes in acrobatics, music, and other circus-style entertainment. Cirque troupes are basically a circus on high-concept steroids. The costumes are beautiful and artsy, the set pieces are unpredictable and fascinating, and there is a seriously weird but aesthetically amazing visual approach to the entire thing. There are at this point something like ten different troupes performing all over the place. Three of them have permanent homes in Las Vegas, for instance, but as new troupes are developed they are sent on international tours. Each troupe has a different approach. For instance, one of the Vegas troupes is called "O" because their entire performance is based on (and in and under) water (French for water = eau = "O").

The coolest thing about any Cirque performance is the number of completely impossible or unexpected physical feats that take place. To get the idea of what I'm talking about, right click here and download a very abbreviated performance by a Cirque troupe at a recent Oscars.

So you go to a Cirque performance expecting eighteen Bulgarians to leap into an inverted human pyramid while juggling knives and wearing amazing lizard costumes, or similar. It is a show that makes you smile for two hours straight because everything you're seeing is beautiful and impossible. This is what I was looking forward to when I walked in to "Delirium" last night.

I started to fear we were in trouble when there was an opening band. "World renown musical artist" Nitza played about six world music/vaguely Middle Eastern tunes with a bunch of accompanying musicians playing strange instruments like the sitar, the lyre, and possibly a hurdy gurdy. All six songs sounded basically the same, and we couldn't tell if Nitza was singing in English or not.

After a twenty minute break following Nitza's set, the show started. I had heard that "Delirium" was going to focus on video projection and music (in the same way that "O" focuses on water), but what we ended up watching was one very long and visually stunning music video. There were some incredibly cool images projected on the massive video screens, and the choreography and timing of the live performers synched with them in nifty ways. The entire thing was very pretty, but I was incredibly disappointed when, over the course of an hour and forty-five minutes, only about four impossible physical feats were performed. The rest was a lot of modern dance and world music played on cool instruments and around weird and colorful set pieces. Quite frankly, I got a little bored. I kept waiting for the really cool stuff to happen, and it never did.

So, much more than ten minutes later, I offer you this: If you get a chance to pay too much money to see a Cirque troupe, definitely take the chance, but make sure it's not "Delirium" unless you really like world music.

4 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw "O" in Vegas. I was begrudgingly dragged to the show by my sister and wife along with the rest of our family. I remember vividly the moment I was told that we WERE going and there was nothing I could do to object, short of sleeping on the couch for a year. I spent the 2 months leading up to our vegas trip picturing what I could do with the 250 dollars (2 tickets at 125 a pop) at the blackjack table.
The day of the show I had spent about 3 hours at the blackjack table and turned about 100 dollars into about 500 dollars. This added fuel to the fire and gave me ammunition to pester Amber all evening with the requisite "think what I could have done with the $250." Suffice it to say, I was going to be a tough sell on this show.

It was amazing. The most visually spectacular thing I have seen. It had tremendous music, amazing (athletes, performers?), and it had so many of those "how did they do that moments" that the 2 hours flew by. They so seemlessly made rediculous athletic feats seem easy. And the set was the most amazing construction I have seen. I could talk about the show in detail for hours. It didn't seem like enough, I needed more.
It is too bad this new one doesn't reach the levels of the other ones, but atleast it was a free ticket.

What genre do you consider cirque de soleil? There is musical performance. There seems to frequently be a loose story line. (tighter then Moving Out, but jenna jamison is tighter then the story line of Moving Out...HAAAAOOOOOOOO!!!) It has artful interpretation, but it is also very circus like.... hmmmmmm

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

Testify, Brother!

See? See, all you skeptics? Cirque de Soleil is super cool!

Circus+Modern Dance+Musical Theatre Sort Of+Rock Concert+Etc.=Cirque.

It is a great example of why everything doesn't have to fit into a genre category. It is whatever the hell it is, and that's all it has to be, especially if it is that entertaining.

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be honest with you. I'd rather sleep on the couch. Really it's not that bad...

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been skeptical of Cirque du Soleil, but after reading this entry, I would probably go...if I was offered a free/ridiculously-discounted ticket.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home