Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Yeah, that's right, I'm posting a poem, and you'll like it, or else.

"Introduction to Poetry"
by Billy Collins

I ask them to take a poem
and hold it up to the light
like a color slide.

or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem
and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem's room
and feel the wall for a light switch.

I want them to water-ski
across the surface of a poem
waving at the author's name on the shore.

But all they want to do
is tie the poem to a chair with a rope
and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose
to find out what it really means.

6 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tyler, it's Alison. I've been creepily stalking your blog for a while now. I just have to say I LOVE Billy Collins. I have like five of his books. Well, maybe not five, but I re-read the ones I do have all the time. This is one of my favorites, read by the author...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrEPJh14mcU

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

Thanks, Alison. The combination of his words, voice, and the animation is pretty solid. I will have to hunt down some more of this Collins fellow.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger bleeeeeeeeeeeeeee said...

I dare you to walk downstairs and say, 'We-just-dropped-in-to-call-on-Miss-Champe'! he bextra said.. The boys grew red from the tips of their ears, and as far as any one could see under their wilting collars. oxycodone. [8] The two halves of ultram the scrotum...

 
At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The above comment is staggeringly brilliant. Tyler, this is exactly why you must never activate a spam filter on this blog.

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Challenge accepted.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From this day forth tyler shall be known as "ultram the scrotum"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home